Education for a psychotherapeutic counselor for children and young people is based on a developmental approach to children and young people, incorporating a humanistic and integrative approach / Gestalt, TA, IA /, and Self psychology, intrasubjective and relationship theories, to make counseling work with children and young people more successful.
Given the specificities of children and adolescents, education is based on an understanding of the needs and developmental stages of children and young people, how the selection of counseling methods and techniques is adapted depending on the stage of development and the child’s problems, as well as their relationship with the environment. The child-counselor relationship is an essential part of the “healing” process, so education is based on understanding the dynamics of relationships, including the nature of transfers – countertransferences.
The difference between psychotherapy and counseling is that the counseling process usually takes a shorter time and is problem-oriented, while psychotherapy is generally longer lasting and focused on addressing the causes of dysfunctional behavior or thinking toward profound change.
The education lasts for 2 years, and upon completion of the education and the examination, the candidates receive a European license for child and adolescent psychotherapeutic counselors.
It is conducted
- Education for psychotherapy counselors of 2 years, 10 modules per year, and 2 additional practical modules for 3 days
- Intensive 5-day weekend each year (Summer school)
To whom is intended?
The education is intended for those who work with children / young people such as teachers, nurses, social workers, professional associates of schools and kindergartens, psychologists, social pedagogues, speech therapists. Education provides an excellent base for anyone who works with children and young people on a daily basis, whether within state-owned firms or within the private sector.
In order to get involved in education, it is necessary to send a written request, to pass an interview with the education leader and to become a member of BHIDAPA.
Manner of implementation
- It will be held one weekend a month, from Friday to Sunday, and once a year for five days, except when the lecturers are foreigners, then the duration and time of education will be modified according to the lecturer
- The program is held in Bosnian / Croatian / Serbian and English
- Several (2-3) modules are run by experts from abroad annually
- The training is carried out in cooperation with and in compliance with EIATSCYP, EUROCPS and EAP standards.
What does education include?
The educational program includes:
- Theoretical part and research work
- Supervision of clinical practice
- Development of skills
- Personal Development
Organizational each module includes:
- Group process
- Theory and research
- Practical work in small groups
- Practical work in a large group
Educational groups are closed-type with a fixed number of students. Students from BHIDAPA and the D.O.M. Institute can participate in the open module of all educational groups.
If the module is led by an expert from abroad, then the modules are open type, therefore, they can be accessed by all interested persons who are not students of education with a fee for the same.
Duration and structure of education (2 years)
- Theory and Research (440 hours)
- Clinical practice (200 hours)
- Supervision (108 hours)
- Personal Therapy (120 hours)
Therefore, the minimum number of total hours for a 2-year education is 778. Other hours are calculated through written papers, case reports and research work.
The education program follows European standards, and hours may change accordingly.
Assessment of acquired knowledge and skills is a continuous part of education through self-assessment, feedback from leaders through essays, exams, case study, work demonstrations.
The payment of personal therapy and supervision is separate from the amount for the educational year. It is necessary to keep a diary from the beginning of therapy / supervision.
Students must be supervised by a qualified supervisor designated by the Education leader/manager. At the end of one education year, trainees are expected to have a minimum of 54 hours of group supervision each year to achieve a total of 108 hours of supervision after completion of education. Group supervision usually consists of 2 to 4 students.
All students must have their own personal therapy from the beginning of education to the end. The minimum hours of personal therapy is 50 hours per year, so they could have a total of 120 hours of personal therapy before completing education. The choice of psychotherapist is personal, Humanistic Integrative Orientation, and approved by BHIDAPA. Payment for personal therapy is separate from the amount for the educational year. It is necessary to keep a diary from the beginning of therapy.
Acquiring knowledge and skills
Assessment of acquired knowledge and skills is a continuous part of education through self-assessment, feedback from leaders through essays, case study, work demonstrations.
Students need to satisfy all the conditions prescribed by education in order to receive a diploma:
- All modules completed (compensated if missed)
- Satisfied prescribed number of hours of personal psychotherapy
- Satisfied the prescribed number of supervision
- All essays submitted
- All personal development profiles submitted
By successfully passing the exam and fulfilling all obligations regarding education and BHIDAPA, educators are able to register as a Counselor for Children and Youth and receive a European certificate from EIATSCYP (European Interdisciplinary Association for Therapeutic Services for Children and Youth).
Starting an education program
The first cycle of education plans to start on May 13, 2017. or 06/02/2017. With the first module on the topic “Reptures in Alliance” – Terapijska radna alijansa i rad na poremećajima alianse – Prof.dr.sc. Gregor i Mr.sc. Maša Žvelc ili “Pregled psihoterapijskih tehnika, povijest i usporedba” – Prof. dr.sc. Dubravka Kocijan-Hercigonja, neuropsihijatar i psihoterapeut.
An informative meeting for all students, whether they enroll a 4-year or 2-year education program, will be held on April 20, 2017. starting at 5pm. The meeting place is the Center for Youth Otoka (Gatacka 18), the entrance from the upper side.
Price of the educational year
The education year is 2.750KM, with the possibility of payment in three installments.
Duration, time and price can be increased extensively when the lecturers are foreigners and when the modules last longer than three days.
Price of Intensive module “Summer school for child and adolescent integrative psychotherapy” is 2000.00 kn.” And it pays directly to D.O.M Institute
Conditions during education
- The first installment of the education year should be paid before the beginning of the first module, which should be notified to BHIDAPA.
- All students must go through their personal psychotherapy during their education
- All students must be members of BHIDAPA, and therefore are members of EIATSCYP (European Association for Children and Adolescent Psychotherapy and Counseling for Children and Youth)
- In order for the students to access the final exam, he must attend all the education modules
- During the education, student needs to apply his knowledge and skills (acquired during his education) in working with two children.
Location and dynamics of the education program
Each education year consists of 10 modules per year, and 2 additional practical modules for a duration of 3 days.
Modules will be held one weekend per month, from Friday to Sunday in Sarajevo: Youth Center Otoka or E-net Center at the Faculty of Economics (one module can be organized in Zagreb for 3 days), and once a year is organized “Summer School “for a period of five days in Krapina Spa or IUC (Inter-University Center) Dubrovnik.
In each day, 4 areas are processed: group process, theory, practical work in small groups and large group and supervision.
Students who come outside Sarajevo have a special discount on accommodation in the Youth Center where classes are held.